Saturday, May 9, 2009

He is ...The Voice

Voices. We hear them all day long and from many sources.

“Good morning Atlanta! Rise and shine! Our high will be 102 today!”
“Yes, I ate the last piece of chocolate cake, did you want that?”
“Mommy, I don’t feel so good, can I stay home from school?”
“Mom, can I go to the prom? Yes, he’s the boy from church!”
“Mom, I think the washing machine is overflowing!”
“Congratulations! You’re going to have a baby!”
"Mommy, Jason just put the cat in the toilet!”
“Honey, I got the job!”
“Happy Mother’s Day!”

But…
When was the last time you heard the Voice of God?


Carl and I have two sons, Mark and Michael, and what a joy they have been to raise. However, waiting for those babies was a very difficult time for me. We were married for a few years and then decided that we wanted to start a family. God had other plans. The nine year journey began with many trips to the infertility clinic, an operation, and a miscarriage that turned into another two year wait. But those things seem so far away right now. The part I remember the most was January 15th. Carl and I had gone to the clinic with hopeful hearts. Hallelujah! The ultrasound allowed us to view our son Mark for the first time. We were thrilled. The next question the doctor asked, “Do you have to work, Mrs. Fritz?” I looked at him befuddled and said, “What do you mean?” He further questioned, “I mean financially, is it necessary that you work?” For just a moment, my mind started focusing in on my students. I was a Middle and High School Choral Director in a small town in Ohio. Financially, I probably didn’t need to work. My next question was, “When do I need to stop working?” His instant reply: “Tomorrow!” I swallowed hard, looked at Carl and said, “Okay, fine.”

God and I had many a conversation over the years about children. I thought we had touched every possible scenario. Not this one. I could hear the Master saying, “I thought you wanted to have children, Debbie?” “I do Lord, but leave my job and my students?”…How could I even ask God that question?

What seemed like an eternity were only a few seconds of dialogue between me and the Lord. I knew I needed to get down on my knees and beg God’s forgiveness. Oh Lord, how could I even question any of this? We’ve been praying for a child for so long. Forgive me for hesitating as if to say, “Are you sure Lord? Do I really need to stop teaching?”

Obviously, God was pulling me away from things so I could devote myself to Him and to my family. The Lord waited and I said, “Forgive me Father. Show me what You want me to do.”

We left the clinic, went home and I immediately called my principal. He dropped everything and came to our home within a few minutes. As I shared my heart, he listened. After I finished our story, his eyes filled with tears and he said, “Whatever you two need to do. My wife and I had a similar situation and we know how painful this wait has been for the two of you. I would like you to come in to school tomorrow and personally tell your students that you will be leaving them for awhile.”

The next day I met with all of my chorus members. God gave me such a sweet time to witness to my students. For the next three months I was pretty much in bed. My best friend, Judy lived next door. She had traveled this path too. She had lost a set of twins. God had blessed them with another pregnancy, but she too, was now at home in bed with this pregnancy.
I know God gave us that time together to call one another, go to a Bible Study once a week and spend lots of one on one precious time with Him. What a glorious time of fellowship with the Lord. God was preparing us for a new journey: Motherhood.

I stayed home until April 15th and then the doctor released me to go back into the classroom and finish the year out. When I walked out of the building for the last time I knew God had been preparing me all that time to leave the passion of teaching in the classroom, in exchange for the passion of teaching in my home. It was easy, because He had been with me during the entire course of that journey.

Can you imagine what the school board must have thought as they read my letter of resignation? I hear by submit my letter of resignation to take on a fulltime position as Wife and Mother. Psalm 113:9 He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the Lord.

Almost two years later, He gave us another son, Michael.
That’s a blog for another time. Until then…
Listen for the Voice of God.
Place your hand in His and take your journey.




Debbie lives in Lawrenceville
with her husband Carl.
Both of their sons are married.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Debbie...I am a crying mess! Beautiful.

    I am so thankful that God has placed you in my life, you never cease to encourage me in this thing called motherhood! Thank you!

    Hugs
    steph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie you are an awesome example for me to follow. Thanks for all of your encouragement in this journey of raising 3 boys!!

    Love ya,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb,

    Ditto, I am a crying mess also. Wow and Wow. I have known you a long time but I did not know the personal journey. Thanks for sharing. Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie,

    Although I knew of your journey, to read it again fills me with wonder over God's timing and how He teaches us through our everyday lives and experiences. What a mentor you are to so many. I'm blessed to know you!

    Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so encouraging to me. Thanks for being so real!

    ReplyDelete