Saturday, May 23, 2009

He Is - My Deliverer

It was almost five years ago that I found myself trapped in a stronghold that was slowly taking over my life. To those around me, family included I was no different because I spent alot of energy to appear normal. The truth was, I was in a deep pit and I was desperate for deliverance.

At the lowest point, I remember asking God to deliver me, to just change my heart's desire. His response was very clear that He would, but that it would be a fight. He reminded me that I didn't just wake up in that place, and that while He would deliver me, there would be some work we would need to do to make sure I didn't wind up in that place again.

So fight and climb out we did. Some days I felt like I had made great progress. Other days however, I felt like I slipped backwards. It was hard to admit that I had allowed myself to be deceived and as a result fallen into this pit. But God.

He showed me so many of His attributes during that time. Counselor, Redeemer, Friend, Defender, I could go on and on but the one that sticks out to me today is Deliverer.

Today, I would love to look you in the eye and tell you how faithful my Deliverer is and was. As deep and dark and stinky as my pit was, my Deliverer was bigger, and brighter and stronger than the sin that kept me there. He fought for me and changed my heart.

As I am re-reading a great little book called "The Red Sea Rules" by Robert J. Morgan, I am reminded that even when we find ourselves in a pit due to our bad choices, GOD can bring us out.

Morgan says this in the preface of his powerful book:

"No sea is deeper than the ocean of His love. There is no army stronger than His hosts, no force greater than His throne of grace, no enemy who can overcome His direct and indirect work in our lives.

The reality of the Red Sea, in a word, is this: God will always make a way for His tired, yet trusting children, even if He must split the sea to do it."


He brought me out friend and He has become my stronghold!

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Psalm 18:2

Do you feel like it's impossible for Him to do the same for you? Let me remind you of Jeremiah 32:27 where God says

"Behold, I am the Lord the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?"

I pray today that you know the Deliverer and that HE is your stronghold!! Nothing is too hard for Him!


God introduced me to the following song in New York City just a few months before my slide into the pit began. I thought of the words often during that time and pray that it will minister to you today.





Stephanie lives in Dacula, GA with her husband Chad and daughters Chloe and Emma.

2 comments:

  1. This past year has been the most difficult of my life. Not because I am in a pit, but because I am watching my husband, my very best friend, live every day in that deep dark pit. Some days I feel like there is nothing I can do. But your post is so right. There is hope with the One and Ony and I've been praying that not only will Jeremy be delivered, but that he will be completely restored in Christ. Praise God for what He will do in our lives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again you speak to my heart and remind that without my Deliverer I would live from pit to pit! What a song!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete