Monday, July 20, 2009

HE IS……the "ARM OF THE LORD"

I’m posting another eye-opening examination of a common phrase that transformed my thinking of how powerful my Abba Daddy is in my life right now, and also a revelation of just how powerful He has been my ENTIRE LIFE. So many experiences come to mind of just how He reached down from heaven to rescue me, guide me, and teach me LONG BEFORE I accepted Him into my life as Ruler of my life. How awesome to dialogue with Him now about all that He has done for me! Let’s study His word together.

Definition of “Arm of the Lord” from Webster's Dictionary - Figurative of power or might

Nelson's Bible Dictionary - A symbol of God's power, strength or might (see Ps. 89:13, Is. 53:1)

A common scripture reference talks about God’s deliverance during the Exodus, when He redeemed Israel from bondage in Egypt (see Ps. 77:15, Is. 63:12). But there are many other examples that relate to our everyday experiences. Each one elaborates on God's character in a different way.

Numbers 11:23, "…is the Lord's arm too short? …"

In this passage the Israelites are complaining about the manna and demanding meat. Moses questions how God can provide enough meat for 600,000. God’s reply to Moses is in the form of a question, “Is the Lord’s arm too short?”

It is easy to trust God when we "see" His mighty works but after a while, in the routine of daily life, His strength may appear to diminish. God doesn't change, but our view of Him often does! The monotony of day-to-day living lulls us into forgetting how powerful God can be. God's strength is always available!

Hebrews 12:12, "Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees."

I had to include this reference even though it refers to human arms. God is a disciplining parent and a demanding coach who pushes us to our limits and requires our lives to be disciplined. OH, HOW I FALL SHORT! Although we may not feel strong enough to push on to victory, we will be able to accomplish it as we follow Christ and draw on His strength. I don't draw on His strength, as I should, particularly in times of temptation.

Exodus 6:6, "…I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment."

Small problems need only small answers! But big problems give God an opportunity to exercise His great power and give big answers!!

Exodus 15:16, "…By the power of Your arm they will be as still as a stone --"

Here Moses is giving praise to God after crossing the Red Sea and seeing the Egyptian solders drowned as the waters returned. God's power is amazing! We had an experience while driving to the beach yesterday that revealed God’s amazing power. Unbelievable and so undeserved!

Deut. 5:15, "Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm."

I must remember that God has rescued me from the slavery of sin and eternity in hell with His mighty arm. My response to His gift should be complete obedience. Why is that so hard?!

Deut. 9:29, "But they are your people, your inheritance, that You brought out by Your great power and Your outstretched arm."

I AM HIS INHERITANCE! What a privilege. What a waste if I don't claim it and live it to the fullest!

Deut. 26:8, "So the Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with great terror and with miraculous signs and wonders."

God's ways and methods are higher than ours. Notice the words, "great terror." Some of our most terrible experiences are turned into good because of the Lord's rescue missions in our lives. Also notice the words, "miraculous signs and wonders." Do we really accept the things He has done as miracles???? If we did, we would not be able to get out of bed in the morning without crawling!

Deut. 33:20 reminds us that the “Arm of the Lord” is just and merciful.

Punishment is necessary for growth and character development.

2 Kings 17:36, "But the Lord, who brought you up out of Egypt with mighty power and outstretched arm, is the One you must worship. To Him you shall bow down and to Him offer sacrifices."

The "One I must worship" … I've been convicted lately there are times when I worship other things and put more energy into things of this world rather than on my loving Father. That makes me very sad.

2 Chron. 32:8, "With him is only the arm of flesh, but with us is the Lord our God to help us and to fight our battles."

Victory is not by our might or power but by the Lord's Spirit. The battles we face everyday can be won with God's strength. Again I say “why don't I call on Him when I'm tempted???” After all, my life's verse is Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Why don't I live my life's verse? URRRRGH!

Job 35:9, "Men cry out under a load of oppression; they plead for relief from the arm of the powerful."

Again, why am I not living in the strength that runs through my veins?

Job 40:9, "Do you have an arm like God's…"

Ps. 44:3, "It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was Your right hand, Your arm, and the light of Your face, for You loved them."

In this passage, surrounded by enemies, the psalmist remembered what God had done for His people and took heart. We can have this same confidence in God when we feel attacked.

Ps. 89:10, "…with Your strong arm You scattered Your enemies."

I love this because I am reminded that no matter how hard satan tries to keep Freedom's Call from being what God wants it to be, GOD IS IN CONTROL!! He will scatter our enemies and remove the roadblocks!

Is. 30:30, "The Lord…will make them see His arm coming down with raging anger and consuming fire…"

God disciplines. He justifies wrongs done to His people. Ponder that!

Is. 40:10, "See, the Sovereign Lord comes with power, and His arm rules for Him."

Is. 40:11, "He tends His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries them close to His heart…"

How my heart is warmed when I think of God gathering me into His arms and carrying me close to His heart! He is powerful, yet careful and gentle. We are powerful when we rely on God's caring strength.

Is. 51:5, "my arm will bring justice to the nations."

This is a sobering scripture in lieu of the moral decline of our nation…..

Jeremiah 17:5, "…the Lord says: 'Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength (arm) and whose heart turns away from the Lord.’”

Once again, not a scripture pointing to the "Arm of the Lord" but a powerful revelation of how we error when we rely on ourselves instead of God. People who trust in human beings and/or false gods will be barren and unfruitful. Those who trust in God flourish like trees planted by water. Those trusting in humans will be impoverished and spiritually weak and have no strength to draw upon. Those trusting in the Lord will have abundant strength for themselves and others.

I don't know about you, but I WANT TO BE A HUGE WILLOW TREE PLANTED BY THE WATER!!!!

Debbie lives in Dacula, GA with her amazing husband Sonny and super-dog Bandit.

1 comment:

  1. (Standing up to type) YES! Can't help but think of Is. 59:1 where it says the Lord's arm is not too short that it can not save and His ear is not dull that He can't hear us!!! Beautiful Beautiful post sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete