Saturday, March 14, 2009

He is - Our Cover

Clothes. Because spring is in the air and I have two little girls who are outgrowing everything, clothes have been on my mind all week. Boy oh boy, do I love them.

I love fashion.

I love checking out what is new and trying to figure out each season which pieces I will purchase. To me, the adventure of finding those new pieces is fun. I like the challenge of finding just the right piece of clothing and finding it cheap. (I've got some incredible stories of how God shows me just the right deals, but that is for another day.)

Clothes cover. They cover a multitude of things. Since we're mostly girls here I can be honest. The right piece of clothing will hide all the lumps and bumps we aren't very proud of.

Would you agree with me that we girls take great effort to find the perfect fit so that we appear longer, leaner and look our best? Put on the right type of clothing and you can cover what you don't like about yourself.

But what happens when you take those clothes off? Reality hits again.

The back fat is still there. The stretch marks? They're still there too. And don't forget about the cellulite, it seems to reproduce overnight sometimes.

Oh the "uglies", the things we don't like about our bodies. Try as hard as you can to accessorize and cover them at the end of the day, they are still there.

Sin is our spiritual "ugly". When we try to cover it up ourself, we are doing nothing but throwing on a piece of clothing that is several sizes to small. It just doesn't work. We can never say enough, do enough or be enough to make right, or cover our sin. There is only One who can.

Jesus Christ. The perfect tailor. He has custom designed a piece of clothing for each of us that will more than cover any sin. The sins we have committed in the past,are currently involved in and better than that, the sin we will commit tomorrow and the next day....

The Hebrew word for cover is "kasah" and it means to cover, conceal, hide; to clothe; to forgive; to keep secret; to hide oneself, wrap oneself up."

Our Jesus has paid for our garment of salvation and our robe of righteousness with His Holy blood, sweat and tears. Sometimes I need to be reminded that I have been wrapped up, covered and clothed by Jesus Christ.

The Lord has had me soaking in Isaiah 61. Verse 10 says this...

"I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God.
For He has CLOTHED me with GARMENTS OF SALVATION and arrayed me in a ROBE of RIGHTEOUSNESS."


So how about it? How about you take off those ill-fitting clothes and maybe even a few accessories you've been using to cover yourself with. How about letting Jesus cover you in a beautiful garment. He is waiting to wrap you in your royal robe, will you let Him?





Stephanie lives in Dacula, GA with her husband Chad and two daughters, Chloe and Emma.

1 comment:

  1. Steph,

    You are so insightful and humble. You inspire me to allow God to raise me up to a higher place. Thank you for allowing Him to use you in such a powerful way.

    Jazzy Tazz

    ReplyDelete